I installed the voice speaker today along with an 80 watt audio amplifier. I plan on using one of the stereo channels for the voice and the other for the mechanical sounds. I connected a portable CD player and popped in an audio CD I wrote with some assorted robot sayings. It was pretty neat hearing the robots voice coming out of my torso.
Started wiring up the neon and all the associated parts. I've put this off as long as I can. Being made of glass and fragile, I didn't want to break it by playing with it. I'm attaching the neon transformer and the music interface to the back side of the neon backplate. The neon is mounted to the front side. I want to keep the high voltage wires as short as possible.
I am wiring one of the switches on the programming unit panel (behind the front lower vents) to the neon transformer. It will allow me to switch between "Voice Activated" neon and "Always On" neon. The "Always On" mode is good for taking photographs as it is hard to time a picture to when the neon is lit. This was suggested by another B9 builder and seems like a good idea. Another of the switches in the programming unit will be the switch that turns on the torso rotations and bubble motor controller power.
Reminiscent of a scene from Lost in Space, I had my robot spread out on a table (pool table that is) while I wired up the neon. I didn't have the pleasure of either Jonathan Harris or Warren Oats to assist me though.
I'm not completely happy with the alignment of my neon. It is a two piece neon and the front piece sits a little low and creates a gap at the bend. Also, the top section seems to sit too far forward. I'll need to do some adjusting after its Halloween debut. For now it will have to do.